“I’ve gone from wishing that I could die…desperate to find a way out…to waking up in the morning and being excited about my life.” -Nate
This might be the most important podcast episode I’ve every shared. In it I share deep insights into how I am healing my depression using psychedelic-assisted therapy.
I am accompanied on today’s journey by Leonie Joubert, an award-winning science writer with 20 years experience who has, in the last few years, begun researching and sharing her findings of the breakthrough studies being done with psychedelic-assisted therapy. Thank you to Leonie for joining me and providing us with your science-backed, well-researched voice, as well as your personal journey with this medicine. You rock!
Many of you who know me know about my huge challenges with depression over the last few years. It has reached a pretty desperate place and, even though I had decided that anti-depressants (SSRIs) were not for me (if you wonder why, read this book) I was still struggling to find a safe way to heal.
Well, over the last 5 months I have been experiencing a huge shift due, I believe, to my use of therapeutically-supported psilocybin, both in large assisted ‘hero’ doses and more regular microdosing…combined with other practices such as breathwork, meditation and kundalini yoga.
This episode tells my story, and shares the tools I’ve been using, in the hope that it helps us all to find our way to healing, both individually and collectively, as we live through the most challenging time in recorded human history.
I invite you to listen with open heart and mind and share with whoever would find value here.
- Leonie Joubert
- Books I own and think you should read (somehow all with the longest titles ever)
- How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression, and Transcendence – Michael Pollan
- The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide: Safe, Therapeutic, and Sacred Journeys – James Fadiman
- Consciousness Medicine: Indigenous Wisdom, Entheogens, and Expanded States of Consciousness for Healing and Growth – Françoise Bourzat
- Just Breathe: Mastering Breathwork – Dan Brule (don’t own and haven’t read, but seems epic)
- Related to things we discussed
- Extinction Rebellion founder calls for mass psychedelic disobedience
- The future of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy – TED TALK
- Professor Jem Bendell’s Deep Adaptation Paper
- Article in Psychology Today about psilocybin and end-of-life anxiety
- Arctic/Greenland melting
- Sam Harris on Psychedelics
- David Nutt on the harm of alcohol vs other drugs (there is a CRAZY graph in here, you’ve gotta check it out…notice where mushrooms sit ?)
A final word of caution
I am not condoning the use of any of these substances, they are currently illegal almost everywhere in the world…and even if they were legal I would highly recommend AGAINST using them without screening and skilled therapeutic support! THIS IS REAL POWERFUL STUFF, inform yourself and stay safe out there, people ❤️
Thank you for your time, for hearing my truth and for being with me on this adventure. I am because you are.
If you have any questions or comments, please share below, I hope to hear from you!
Until next week,
PS: bonus note is that the mushroom I used on the cover is fly agaric (amanita muscaria) and doesn’t have psilocybin in it ???.